Monday 14 November 2011

Why Choose Cloth?: Saving the Environment!

    There are many debates that go on over the environmental aspect of Cloth vs. Disposable nappies. Mis information all over the Internet confuses new mums and mums to be into believing that there are no benefits for using cloth over disposables where the environment is concerned! I believe this to be untrue.

     Long before I actually had my baby I started reading about cloth nappies on forums and by googling. I will admit it scared me!! Rinsing, washing, rinsing, drying and IRONING!!! Needless to say I am now older and wiser and know better.

    YES rinsing is advised. A cold rinse before the actual wash can help prevent staining and I believe is recommended by most cloth nappy companies. I will do a proper washing post later on.

     Aside from washing there is the filling the landfill argument. Well a bonus to cloth Vs disposables is that cloth nappies wash well and can be sold on or used for more than one child. There are a lot of parenting forums which allow you to sell on your 'Pre- loved' Fluff for someone else to love and take care of. Cloth Bum Mums I have come across give the impression you may get struck by lightening If you were to throw away a precious fluffy nappy. I can't see anyone saying the same about a sposie can you?? Billions of disposables are thrown into landfill every year, just to sit there for the next 500 years taking up land that could have houses for future generations built on instead! Something to consider when you are making your decision. 

     Now I hold my hands up I used sposies on my baby when he first entered the world and so I do know the the pros and cons for both sides. He's almost out of nappies now but I am already building a stash of my favourite Tiny Nipper Nappies ready for baby number 2. I think that says alot ;)

So to sum up

Why Cloth Nappies?

Environmental Aspects
After researching into cloth nappies, I found that not only was cost difference massive, but the environmental impact was huge.
For Example;
* Each nappy takes an average of 500 years to decompose.
* 3 billion disposables are thrown to landfill each year.
* Disposables account for up to 4% of landfill.

Taking all that into account, it makes for a very scary thought!
When you think about how many disposables you use in one week - an average of 35 maybe? - and think how you need less than that to cloth bum your baby until potty training age, you realise the negative environmental impact. Add into this that solids go to landfill aswell, which can cause contamination and health risks to the public.
So, not only are you saving money by switching to cloth, you are also saving the environment by not sending the 2 tonnes of disposables used per child to landfill!

Source: http://www.tinynippers.co.uk/why.html

No comments:

Post a Comment